Springfield, Missouri, is located in the Ozark Plateau, a region of the United States known for its scenic beauty and recreational opportunities.
The Ozarks are also home to a variety of wildlife, including several species of deer, elk, and bighorn sheep.
This region has a complex mix of weather patterns. The city experiences all four seasons, but the winters are generally mild, but does it snow in Springfield, Missouri?
Does it Ever Snow in Springfield, Missouri?
Yes, it does snow in Springfield, Missouri.
Springfield, Missouri, is located in the Ozarks, which means that it experiences a wide range of weather conditions throughout the year. The city has moderate winters with occasional snowfall.
While the amount of snowfall Springfield receives each year varies, the city typically sees an average of 15 inches of snowfall each winter.
However, If you’re curious about whether it’s currently snowing in Springfield, Missouri, the best way to find out is to check the local weather forecast.
The Weather in Springfield, Missouri
Springfield, Missouri, is located in the southern part of the state, and therefore its weather is generally milder than the weather in other parts of the state.
However, that does not mean that Springfield never experiences cold weather or snow.
The average high temperature in Springfield in January is 45 degrees Fahrenheit, and the average low temperature is 24 degrees Fahrenheit.
The record high temperature for Springfield is 80 degrees Fahrenheit, and the record low temperature is -21 degrees Fahrenheit.
On average, Springfield receives 2.5 inches of snow per year. However, snowfall amounts can vary greatly from year to year.
For example, in 2018, Springfield received 18 inches of snow.
How Often Does it Snow in Springfield, Missouri?
Springfield, Missouri, is located in the Ozark Plateau, which means that it has a complex mix of weather patterns. The city experiences all four seasons, but the winters are generally mild with occasional snowfall.
On average, Springfield sees about 15 inches of snow each year. However, this amount can vary greatly from year to year.
While snow is not a common occurrence in Springfield, it does happen occasionally. If you are planning to visit the city during the winter months, it is a good idea to be prepared for possible snowfall.
When Does it Snow in Springfield, Missouri?
Snowfall in Springfield generally occurs between the months of November and March. However, snowfall can occur outside of these months as well.
The amount of snowfall that Springfield receives varies year to year. In some years, Springfield may only receive a few inches of snow, while in other years, several feet may fall.
How long the snow season is in Springfield, Missouri?
Although the climate of Springfield, Missouri, is generally conducive to snowfall, the length of the snow season can vary greatly from year to year.
In some years, snow may begin falling as early as October and continue falling into April or May.
However, other years may see only a few inches of accumulation throughout the entire winter season.
Things to Do in Springfield, Missouri in Winter
While the Midwestern city of Springfield, Missouri, is known for its hot and humid summers, it can also be a great place to visit during the winter months. The city experiences an average of about seven inches of snow each year, and there are plenty of things to do for both locals and visitors alike.
Here are a few ideas:
- Visit the Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World: This massive store is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts, offering everything from fishing and hunting gear to boats and ATVs. They also have a restaurant and an aquarium.
- Check out the Stone Hill Winery: This family-owned winery offers tours and tastings throughout the year. In the winter, they also have special events like live music and food trucks.
- Explore Fantastic Caverns: Take a tour of this naturally formed cave system that stays a cool 56 degrees year-round. You’ll see stalactites, stalagmites, and even some bats!
- Learn about history at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library: This museum is dedicated to our 16th president, who has deep ties to Springfield. You can see artifacts like Lincoln’s stovepipe hat and watch films about his life.
- See the animals at Dickerson Park Zoo: This 50-acre zoo is home to more than 400 animals, including tigers, lions, gorillas, and more.
- Hidden Valley Ski Resort: One of the most popular winter activities in Springfield is snowboarding and skiing at Hidden Valley Ski Resort. The resort offers a variety of slopes for all skill levels, so everyone in the family can enjoy a day on the slopes. If you’re not a skier or snowboarder, you can still enjoy the views from the lodge while enjoying hot chocolate or other winter treats.
- Springfield Art Museum: For those who prefer to spend their time indoors, there are plenty of museums and art galleries to explore in Springfield. The Springfield Art Museum features a variety of exhibits throughout the year, and the Discovery Center Museum is perfect for kids and families.
Adults may also enjoy visiting one of Springfield’s many breweries or distilleries for a tour and tasting.
The Best Places to see Snow in Springfield, Missouri.
There are plenty of places to see snow in Springfield, Missouri. The best place to see snow is definitely Point Park.
Point Park is a 185-acre urban park that provides stunning views of the Ozarks. The park also has a playground, a picnic area, and plenty of walking trails.
Another great place to see snow is Springfield’s own Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield.
This national battlefield is located just outside of the city and is a great place to take a hike and see some beautiful scenery.
Conclusion: Does it snow in Springfield, Missouri?
In conclusion, Yes, it does snow in Springfield, Missouri, but it is not a guarantee. The best time to try for snowfall is in late December through early February.
January is usually the snowiest month, with an average of 5.6 inches of snowfall. However, there have been years where no measurable snowfall has occurred during the entire month.
FAQs: About Snow in Springfield, Missouri
How Often Does it Snow in Springfield, Missouri?
Springfield generally sees around 15 inches of snowfall each year. However, this amount can vary greatly from year to year.
What Is the Earliest Date That Springfield Has Ever Seen Measurable Snowfall?
The earliest date that Springfield has ever seen measurable snowfall is October 11th. This was back in 1989. In most years, Springfield sees its first measurable snow of the season was in November, measuring around 0.3 inches.
Does it Ever get Cold Enough in Springfield for the Snow to Stay on the Ground for More Than a few Days?
Yes, it does! In fact, it sometimes gets cold enough for the snow to stay on the ground for weeks at a time. The longest stretch of time that Springfield has seen continuous snow cover on the ground is 28 days. This happened from January 12th to February 8th back in 1985.