Spartanburg is a city in South Carolina that experiences all four seasons. The winters are mild, with average temperatures in the low to mid-50s, but it does snow occasionally.
But does it Snow in Spartanburg or not? Read on this blog to find out!
While Spartanburg may not be the frostiest place in the country, but that doesn’t mean they don’t get their fair share of winter weather!
Here in the ‘Burg, People know how to make the most of snow days, whether they’re hitting the slopes or simply enjoying a little winter wonderland right in their own backyard.
Does it Snow in Spartanburg?
If you’re wondering whether it snows in Spartanburg, South Carolina, the answer is: not very often!
In fact, Spartanburg sees an average of only 2-3 inches of snow per year. But that doesn’t mean that winter here is without its charms! From festive holiday lights to cozy fireside gatherings, there’s plenty to enjoy about winter in Spartanburg.
Spartanburg experiences an average of 2 to 2.5 inches of snow per year. The best time to see the snow is in January or February. The month of February is usually the snowiest, with an average of 1.3 inches of snow.
The Weather in Spartanburg
Spartanburg has a temperate climate with four distinct seasons. The area experiences light snowfall in the winter and hot, humid summers. Spring and fall are pleasant, with average temperatures in the 60s and 70s.
Spartanburg experiences all four seasons. Summer is the hottest season, with temperatures averaging in the low to mid-90s.
Spring and fall are pleasant, with temperatures in the 60s and 70s. Winter is cool, with temperatures averaging in the mid-30s.
Spartanburg does occasionally see snowfall, but it is not significant enough to hinder travel or daily activities.
Activities to Enjoy Snow in Spartanburg
Spartanburg may not be the first place you think of when it comes to snow, but we actually do get a few inches each year. And when the snow falls, there are plenty of fun activities to enjoy in and around town.
Here are just a few of our favorites:
- Take a scenic drive – Snow-covered landscapes can be absolutely beautiful, and Spartanburg is surrounded by them. So, hop in the car and take a leisurely drive around town to enjoy the sights. Just be sure to take it slow and easy – road conditions can be tricky when there’s snow on the ground.
- Sledding & tubing – There are plenty of hills in Spartanburg that are perfect for sledding or tubing, so grab a sled (or an inner tube) and hit the slopes! Some of our favorite places to sled are Croft State Park, Glendale Shoals Preserve, Hatcher Garden & Woodland Preserve, and Milliken Arboretum.
- Make snow angels – This one is great for kids (and kids at heart). Just find a spot with some fresh powder, lie down, and move your arms and legs to create an angel shape in the snow. Be sure to take a picture before you stand up!
- Build a snowman or fort – Building a fort or snowman is classic winter fun for kids (and adults). So gather up some friends or family members and get started on your masterpiece. And don’t forget to top off your snowman with a carrot nose and coal eyes!
- Have a snowball fight – Once you’ve built your fort, it’s time to put it to use! Invite some friends over for a friendly snowball fight (or an all-out war). Just be sure to duck behind your fort when it’s time to reload!
When Does it Snow in Spartanburg?
Spartanburg usually sees snowfall a few times throughout the winter. The snow usually isn’t heavy, but it can be enough to cause slick roads and travel delays. The best time to visit Spartanburg for snow is typically in late December or early January.
The Conclusion: Does it Snow in Spartanburg?
Spartanburg does not generally receive enough snowfall to sustain any sort of winter recreation, unfortunately.
The mountains nearby, such as North Carolina’s Asheville or Tennessee’s Gatlinburg, might be a better bet if you’re looking to do any winter sports.