Galveston is a coastal city located in southeastern Texas. With an estimated population of 50,307 in 2020, it is the county seat and second-largest city of Galveston County.
The city boundaries extend 33 miles (53 km) from the southern tip to midnight pass on the north side and 21 miles (34 km) from the eastern shore to West Bay on the west side.
Galveston’s location on Galveston Island puts it very susceptible to hurricanes and tropical storms. But does it snow in Galveston, texas?
Does it Snow in Galveston, Texas?
Although Galveston is located in Texas, a state known for its high temperatures, the city does occasionally and rarely see snowfall. While it does not Snow in Galveston, Texas, every year. But the city does see Snowfalls during Storms and other such events.
The last snowfall in Galveston occurred in February 2021, when the city received about some inches of snow. However, it is not uncommon for Galveston to see a dusting of snow or even flurries, especially in the northern part of the city.
How Often Does it Snow in Galveston, Texas?
Galveston, Texas, is located in the southern part of the United States, and it is not common for the area to receive snowfall each year. But it does happen once in a decade, or a storm hits the city that causes the temperature to drop down for snowfall to happen.
When Does it Snow in Galveston, Texas?
Galveston is located on the Gulf of Mexico, so it usually doesn’t snow here. The last time it snowed was in 2021 when a storm hit Galveston, and even then, it was just a few flakes. And before that, it had snowed on December 8th, 2017.
The Weather in Galveston, Texas
Galveston, Texas, is a coastal city located on Galveston Island in the Gulf of Mexico. The island is about 50 miles (80 km) south of Houston and is a popular vacation destination for Texans and tourists from around the world. The island’s moderate climate and beautiful beaches make it a popular destination year-round.
Despite its location in the Gulf of Mexico, Galveston does not generally experience severe weather conditions. The island is located in what is known as the “hurricane belt,” but Galveston has only been hit by two major hurricanes in recorded history.
The first was the 1900 Hurricane, which made landfall on September 8th. The hurricane caused widespread damage and loss of life, with an estimated 6,000 to 12,000 people dying as a result of the storm. The second major hurricane to hit Galveston was Hurricane Ike in 2008. Ike caused significant damage to the island, but there were no reported fatalities.
While Galveston does not generally experience severe weather, the city does see its fair share of rainfall. On average, Galveston receives about 47 inches (119 cm) of rain each year. July and August are typically the wettest months, while October is usually the driest month.
Does it snow in Galveston? Snow is extremely rare in Galveston, with the last recorded snowfall taking place in December 1989. However, because Galveston is located near the Gulf of Mexico, winter temperatures are usually mild, with average highs in the low 60s°F (around 16°C).
Things to Do in Galveston, Texas in Winter
Galveston is a beautiful beach town located on the Gulf Coast of Texas. It’s a popular destination for visitors all year round, but many people wonder if it’s worth visiting in the winter.
The answer is yes! Galveston is a great place to visit in winter. There are plenty of things to do, including spending time on the beach, exploring the city’s historic district, and visiting some of the area’s top attractions.
If you’re looking for things to do in Galveston, Texas, in winter, here are some ideas:
- Spend a day at the beach: Galveston is home to some of the best beaches in Texas. Even though it’s cold in winter, you can still enjoy the beautiful scenery and Gulf breezes.
- Explore the historic district: Galveston’s historic district is a great place to walk around and take in the sights. There are plenty of shops and restaurants to explore, and you can also take a tour of some of the historic homes.
- Visit some of the area’s top attractions: Galveston is home to several top attractions, including Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn Waterpark, and Bishop’s Palace.
- Visit the Moody Gardens Pyramids: These massive glass pyramids are one of Galveston’s most popular attractions. They house a tropical rainforest, an aquarium, an Imax theater, and more.
- Take a Ghost tour: Galveston is said to be one of the most haunted places in America. Take a tour with a local guide and hear some spooky stories about the island’s past.
- Explore Historic Downtown Galveston: This area of town is full of rich history and beautiful architecture. Take a walking tour or simply explore on your own.
- Visit the Strand District: The Strand is known as Galveston’s “art district.” It’s full of art galleries, unique shops, and great restaurants.
- Go bird-watching: Galveston is home to a variety of birds, including pelicans, seagulls, and even bald eagles. Take a walk on one of the island’s many nature trails and see how many different types of birds you can spot.
Conclusion: Does it Snow in Galveston, Tx?
In conclusion, it does not snow in Galveston, Texas. The last time that measurable snowfall occurred in Galveston was in February 2021, when 0.2 inches (0.51 cm) of snow fell due to a storm that hit the city. However, episodes of sleet and freezing rain are not uncommon during the winter months.
FAQs: About Snow in Galveston, Texas
1. How Often Does it Snow in Galveston, Texas?
It snows very rarely in Galveston, Texas. On average, it only snows 1-2 days per year.
2. How Much Snow Does Galveston, Texas, Usually get?
Galveston generally sees accumulations of less than one inch of snow per year.
3. Does it Ever Snow Heavily in Galveston, Texas?
No, it rarely snows heavily in Galveston. The heaviest snowfall on record for the city was 5 inches, which occurred on January 12-13, 1895.
4. What Are the Coldest Months for Snow in Galveston, Texas?
The coldest months for snowfall in Galveston are December, January, and February.
5. How Long Does the Snow Usually Last in Galveston, Texas?
The snow typically melts within a day or two after falling.