Durham is a city in North Carolina. The population was 276,000 at the 2020 census. It is the 4th most populous city in North Carolina and 74th most populous city in the United States.
Durham is the core of four counties in the six-county Durham-Chapel Hill MSA and four counties in the eight-county Triangle metropolitan area.
It experiences Humid Subtropical Climate and has hot Summers and Cold winters; the area receives around 46 inches of Precipitation, But does it snow in Durham, North Carolina? Let’s Find out in this Article.
Tourists are attracted to the Durham Bulls minor league baseball team and both Duke University and North Carolina Central University. The city is also home to Duke Health, one of the largest health care systems in North Carolina.
Does it Snow in Durham, NC?
Yes, it does Snow in Durham, North Carolina. Although Durham doesn’t get a whole lot of snowfall each year, the city does receive enough to have a winter wonderland feel at times.
According to the National Weather Service, an average of around 4 inches of snow falls in Durham each year, but this number can vary greatly from year to year. In some years, the city may only see a few flakes, while other years may bring several feet of snow.
Whether you’re hoping for a white Christmas or just enjoy playing in the snow, you’ll have a chance to do both in Durham.
The city typically sees its first snowfall sometime in November, and the last flakes usually fall in March. However, it’s not uncommon for snow to fall outside of these months.
So if you’re planning a trip to Durham during the winter, be sure to pack your boots and coat just in case!
How Often Does it Snow in Durham, NC?
Although Durham, North Carolina, doesn’t get a huge amount of snowfall each year, it does snow often enough that residents and visitors need to be prepared.
Based National Weather Service’s index, Durham has an average of 12 days per year when there is at least one inch of snow on the ground. This may not seem like a lot, but it’s actually more than the national average of 10 days.
Snowfall totals in Durham vary widely from year to year. The city sees an average of 4 to 6 inches of snow per year, but totals can range from zero to 20 inches in any given year.
The last time it snowed in Durham was on January 22, 2022, when it was reported to have experienced as much as 3.8 to 5 inches of snowfall.
Durham’s highest recorded snowfall was 20 inches, which fell in January 2000. However, the city has also had several years with no measurable snowfall at all.
If you’re visiting Durham during the winter months, be sure to pack your warmest clothes and boots!
When Does it Snow In Durham, NC?
Although snow is relatively rare in Durham, North Carolina, it does happen occasionally. The most recent significant snowfall occurred in December of 2018, when about 12 inches fell in the Durham area, which caused the schools to close down for the day.
On average, Durham sees about 2 inches of snow per year. However, this number can vary greatly from year to year. For example, in 2010, the city only saw a trace amount of snow, while in 2011, over 14 inches fell.
Snow typically begins falling in Durham sometime in late November or early December. However, it is not uncommon for the first flakes to fall as early as October or as late as January. Snow usually melts quickly in Durham due to the relatively warm temperatures in the area.
The Weather in Durham, NC
Durham, North Carolina, has a Humid Subtropical climate (Cfa) according to the Köppen climate classification.
The Weather in Durham, NC, can be very mild, with temperatures in the 60s and 70s throughout the year. However, there are occasional cold snaps where the temperatures can drop below freezing. It is very rare for Durham to have any snow accumulation, but it does happen on occasion.
Durham experiences a wide range of temperatures throughout the year, with hot summers and cold winters. The area generally receives a fair amount of precipitation, but snowfall is not common.
The average high temperature in Durham during the summer months is around 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius). The average low temperature in the winter months is around 30 degrees Fahrenheit (-1 degree Celsius).
Durham generally receives around 45 inches (114 centimeters) of precipitation(Rain) per year. However, snowfall is not common, with an average of only 4 inches (10 centimeters) of snow per year.
Things to Do in Durham, NC in Winter
Although North Carolina is known for its temperate climate, the state does experience cold snaps and snowfall from time to time. If you’re visiting Durham during the winter months, there are still plenty of things to do in the city.
Here are a few ideas:
- Visit the Nasher Museum of Art: The Nasher Museum of Art is one of the top art museums in the country, and it’s right in Durham! The museum has an impressive collection of works by both contemporary and historical artists.
- Take a walk or hike: Durham is home to many beautiful parks, so take advantage of them! Even in colder weather, a walk or hike can be a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
- Attend a Durham Bulls game: The Durham Bulls are the city’s minor league baseball team, and they play their home games at the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. Seeing a game is a great way to experience America’s pastime while also supporting your local team.
- Explore Duke University: Duke University is one of the most prestigious universities in the country, and its campus is absolutely beautiful. Even if you’re not a student, there’s still plenty to see and do on campus. Take a tour of the grounds, visit Duke Chapel, or catch a basketball game at Cameron Indoor Stadium.
- Visit the NC Museum of Life and Science: This museum is great for kids and adults and has an outdoor dinosaur trail that’s open in winter.
- Go ice skating at the American Tobacco Campus: This outdoor rink is open from mid-November through February.
- Check out a show at the DPAC (Durham Performing Arts Center): DPAC has a great lineup of shows during the winter months, including musicals, dance performances, and more.
Conclusion: Does it Snow in Durham, NC?
Interestingly enough, the answer to this question is both yes and no. It appears that snow falls sporadically in Durham, North Carolina. However, it seems that the snowfall is not heavy and does not last long.
While Durham rarely sees a significant accumulation of snow, it isn’t unheard of for the area to receive a few inches of snowfall in a given year. So, while you may not be able to build a snowman if you’re visiting Durham, you may still see some snowflakes during your stay!