If you’re considering a trip to Bend, Oregon, you may be wondering what the weather is like and if you need to pack your snow boots.
Bend is a city located in the high desert of Central Oregon, and while it does get cold in the winter, it’s not necessarily known for heavy snowfall.
In this post, we’ll delve into the climate of Bend and give you an idea of what to expect weather-wise during your visit. So if you’re wondering, “Does it snow in Bend, Oregon?”, read on to find out!
Does It Snow in Bend, Oregon?
Yes, it snows in Bend, Oregon! Although it doesn’t snow as often as in other parts of the country, when it does snow in Bend, Oregon, it can be a beautiful site!
The city usually sees around 20 inches of snow each year, so there’s definitely enough to make a snowman or go sledding. If you’re planning on visiting during the winter, be sure to pack your boots and a warm coat!
In Bend, Oregon, the average date for the first measurable snowfall is October 10th. The average date for the last measurable snowfall is May 16th. The earliest measurable snowfall on record in Bend was on September 24th, 1934. The latest measurable snowfall on record was on May 23, 1953.
How Often Does It Snow in Bend, Oregon?
Bend, Oregon, is a beautiful city that gets a decent amount of snowfall each year. So, how often does it snow in Bend, Oregon?
The answer to this question depends on a few factors, including the location of Bend, Oregon, and the time of year. Generally speaking, however, Bend, Oregon, receives around 21 inches of snowfall per year. This means that it snows about once every three weeks or so.
When Does It Snow in Bend, Oregon?
Areas around Bend, Oregon, generally receive at least 20 inches of snow each year. Higher elevations usually get more than lower areas.
Snowfall typically begins in October in the high country and November or December at lower elevations and lasts into April or May.
Bend is a great place to enjoy winter sports, such as downhill and cross-country skiing, tubing, sledding, snowboarding, and ice skating. The nearby Cascade Mountains offer several ski resorts, including Mt. Bachelor, which is about 20 miles (32 km) southwest of Bend.
If you’re interested in learning how to ski or snowboard, the Bend Recreation District offers beginner lessons at the low-keyed Hoodoo Ski Area, about 35 miles (56 km) southeast of Bend.
What Is the Weather Like in Bend, Oregon?
The weather in Bend, Oregon, is very diverse. In the winter, it typically snows in the mountains but not in the valley. The temperatures in the valley are usually in the 30s and 40s but can dip down into the 20s overnight.
In the spring, Bend, Oregon, sees a lot of rain showers as the snow melts in the mountains. The temperatures warm up into the 50s and 60s. In the summer, Bend is known for its dry heat, with temperatures often reaching into the 80s and 90s.
The fall season brings cool temperatures, and gorgeous colors as the leaves change on the trees.
The Seasons in Bend, Oregon
Although it is located in Oregon, Bend has a much different climate than the rest of the state. Most of Oregon is known for its wet, rainy winters and cool, dry summers.
Bend, on the other hand, has a high desert climate. This means that it has hot summers and cold winters.
Bend’s location in the Cascade Mountain range also contributes to its climate. The Cascades act as a barrier, blocking moisture from the Pacific Ocean from reaching Bend. This results in very little rain or snowfall in the city.
Despite its location in the desert, Bend actually gets a decent amount of snow each winter. The average yearly snowfall is around 21 inches. However, there have been years when Bend has received over 30 inches of snow!
If you’re looking to experience all four seasons, Bend is the place for you. The summers are hot and dry, the winters are cold and snowy, and spring and fall offer moderate temperatures and beautiful scenery.
What Are the Popular Things to Do in Bend, Oregon, During Winter?
There are many enjoyable activities to do in Bend, Oregon, during the winter months. Some ideas for things to do in Bend during the winter include:
- Skiing or snowboarding at one of the nearby resorts: Bend is located near several ski resorts, including Mt. Bachelor, which offers a variety of runs for skiers and snowboarders of all abilities.
- Hiking or snowshoeing in the nearby mountains: Bend is surrounded by beautiful mountain ranges, and there are many trails that are suitable for hiking or snowshoeing in the winter.
- Sledding or tubing at one of the nearby parks or resorts: There are several locations in and around Bend that offer sledding and tubing hills for winter fun.
- Ice skating at the Bend Park and Recreation District’s Outdoor Ice Rink: The Bend Park and Recreation District operates an outdoor ice rink in the winter months, which is a great place to enjoy some ice skating.
- Enjoy a hot drink or meal at one of Bend’s cozy cafes or restaurants: Bend has a vibrant dining scene, and there are many cozy cafes and restaurants where you can warm up with a hot drink or meal on a cold winter day.
- Exploring Bend’s downtown area: Bend’s downtown area is filled with boutique shops, art galleries, and breweries, and it’s a great place to wander and explore on a cold winter day.
- Taking in a show at one of Bend’s theaters or music venues: Bend has a thriving arts scene, and there are often live performances happening at the local theaters and music venues during the winter months.
In conclusion, it does snow in Bend, Oregon! Though it is not a large amount, and it does not last long, it is enough to make a snowman or go sledding. So if you are ever in Bend during the winter, be sure to bring a coat and some gloves!
- Does It Snow In Eugene, Oregon?
- Does it Snow in Astoria, Oregon?
- Does it Snow in Corvallis, Oregon?
- Does It Snow In Coos Bay, Oregon?
- Does It Snow In Ashland, Oregon?
FAQs About Snow In Bend, Oregon
Bend gets a fair share of snow in the winter, with an average of 21 inches per season. However, the amount of snowfall varies greatly from year to year.
In some years, Bend may receive as little as 10 inches of snow, while in other years, it may get more than 30 inches.
How Does This Compare to Other Parts of Oregon?
While Bend does experience some snowfall during the winter months, it is generally not as heavy or long-lasting as in other parts of the state, such as the Cascade Mountains to the west or the Coast Range to the northwest.
What Is the Best Time to Go Snowboarding or Skiing in Bend?
Can I Get Around Bend If There Is a Lot of Snow?
How Much Snow Does Bend, Oregon Get?
The northern and eastern parts of the state generally receive more snow than the southern and western parts. On average, the state receives at least 20 inches of snow each year.
Is Bend, Oregon, a Good Place to Live If You Like Snow?
In addition, the state’s topography provides a variety of landscapes to explore, from mountains to forests to valleys.