Houston, Texas, is known for its hot and humid weather, but many people may be surprised to learn that it can also snow in the city, as the title of this post, “Does it Snow in Houston, Texas?” suggest.
In this post, we will explore the factors that contribute to snowfall in Houston, as well as the history of notable snow events in the city.
So, whether you’re a Houston native or just curious about the weather in the area, read on to learn more about snow in Houston.
Does It Snow In Houston?
It is possible for snow to fall in Houston, Texas, although it is not a common occurrence. The city’s relatively mild winters and proximity to the Gulf of Mexico typically make it too warm for snowfall.
However, there have been instances of snowfall in Houston and the surrounding areas in the past, usually as a result of a cold front moving through the region or a storm system that brings snowfall from further north.
The likelihood of snowfall in Houston can vary from year to year and also depends on the specific weather conditions at the time.
How Often Does It Snow In Houston?
It is not a common occurrence for it to snow in Houston, Texas. The city’s relatively mild winters and proximity to the Gulf of Mexico typically make it too warm for snowfall.
The last time it snowed in Houston was December 8th, 2017, and before that, in 2009; however, these events were considered rare and not a regular occurrence.
The chances of getting a measurable snowfall in Houston are less than once every 10 years, and most of the time, it will only be flurries or sleet.
However, it’s worth noting that snowfall in Houston is not impossible, and the likelihood of it happening can vary from year to year and also depends on the specific weather conditions at the time.
When Does it Snow In Houston?
It is not a common occurrence for it to snow in Houston, Texas, and it typically happens during the winter months, usually between December and February. However, the chances of getting a measurable snowfall in Houston are very low, and most of the time, it will only be flurries or sleet.
What Is the Climate Like in Houston, Texas?
The climate in Houston, Texas, is classified as humid subtropical. This means the city experiences hot summers and mild winters, with high humidity and regular rainfall throughout the year. The city’s proximity to the Gulf of Mexico is a major factor in its climate, as it brings warm, moist air to the area.
Summer temperatures in Houston can reach up to 95°F (35°C) with high humidity, making it feel even hotter. The city also experiences occasional heat waves that can push temperatures above 100°F (38°C). Winters in Houston are mild, with average high temperatures in the mid-60s°F (around 18°C) and low temperatures in the mid-40s°F (around 7°C).
Houston also receives a fair amount of rainfall, with the heaviest precipitation typically occurring during the spring and summer months. The city’s location near the Gulf of Mexico also makes it vulnerable to tropical storms and hurricanes, which can bring heavy rain and strong winds to the area.
In terms of air quality, Houston is known for having high levels of ozone pollution caused by emissions from cars and industrial activities, which can make it difficult for some people, especially those with respiratory issues, to breathe.
What Are the Popular Things to Do in Houston, Texas, During Winter?
There are plenty of things to do in Houston, Texas, during the winter months. Some popular options include:
- Visit the Houston Museum of Natural Science: This museum features a variety of permanent exhibits on topics such as space, energy, and biodiversity, as well as special traveling exhibits.
- Take a stroll through the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center: This 155-acre urban nature sanctuary offers visitors the chance to explore nature and learn about the city’s natural environment.
- Explore the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston: This museum features a vast collection of art from around the world, including works by famous artists such as Monet, Picasso, and Warhol.
- Visit the Menil Collection: This museum features a collection of ancient and medieval art, as well as works by modern artists such as Picasso and Matisse.
- See a show at the Theater District: Houston’s Theater District is home to several world-class performing arts venues, such as the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, the Wortham Theater Center, and the Jones Hall.
- Take a tour of the Space Center Houston: This museum is the official visitor center for NASA’s Johnson Space Center and offers visitors a chance to learn about space exploration and see artifacts from the space program.
- Visit the Buffalo Bayou Park: This 160-acre urban park offers visitors a chance to hike, bike, paddle, and enjoy the outdoors.
- Take a trip to Galveston Island: The island is located just 50 miles from Houston and offers a variety of activities, such as beaches, historic sites, and scenic views.
These are just a few examples of the many things to do in Houston during the winter months. There are many other options to explore, including shopping, dining, sports, and more.
In conclusion, Houston, Texas, may not be the first city that comes to mind when thinking of a winter destination, but it offers plenty of things to do and see during the colder months.
From visiting museums and art galleries to exploring nature and learning about space, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in Houston.
The city’s mild winters and various indoor activities make it a great option for those looking to escape the cold while still being able to experience a variety of cultural and recreational activities.
And even though it snows infrequently, it is possible to see snow or sleet in the city, but it’s not guaranteed.
If you’re planning a trip to Houston in the winter, be sure to check the forecast and pack accordingly.
- Does It Snow In Texas?
- Does It Snow In Fort Worth, Texas?
- Does It Snow In Austin, Texas?
- Does It Snow In Dallas, Texas?
- Does It Snow In Louisiana?