Gas Works Park in Seattle, Washington is a 19 acre public park on the site of the former Seattle Gas Light Company gasification plant. Gas Works park contains remnants of the sole remaining coal gasification plant in the US. The plant operated from 1906 to 1956, and was bought by the City of Seattle for park purposes in 1962. The park opened to the public in 1975. The park was designed by Seattle landscape architect Richard Haag, who won the American Society of Landscape Architects Presidents Award of Design Excellence for the project. A great place to sit and look at the skyline of Seattle with the lake in front.