This is one of the most popular temples and it’s right in the heart of the Old Town. Entering from Ratchadamnoen Road, you will find the main temple first and the chedi behind it. The chedi was started in the 14th century but remained unfinished for 10 years. When the chedi was finally finished, it reached the 82 m of height and it was the biggest building of the Lanna Kingdom. In 1468, the temple was the house of the famous statue of the Emerald Buddha, one of the holiest Buddhist images. The legend is that the jade carved statue was found inside a chedi after it had been struck open by lightning. This happened in Chiang Rai in 1434, and the Buddha statue found its place in Chiang Mai from 1468 to 1551, when it was moved to Laos and finally Bangkok. The big earthquake of 1545 severely damaged the chedi that wasn’t restored until 1990. Today the chedi still has a part of the top missing, but it’s still majestically standing surrounded by a moat filled with water. On each side of the brick building there is a niche with a golden statue and Naga serpents on the stairs to protect them.